Anyone who’s ever had to wait for an order to show up understands it can be a frustrating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a vital piece of HVAC equipment such as a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, some people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to be installed. If you’re considering upgrading your existing system with a service like furnace installation in Excelsior Springs, it may be a good idea to order sooner rather than later.
Current shortages are a result of a few problems along the supply chain. We’ll explain how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to minimize the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Popular HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Normally this is better for homeowners, as this means more convenient heating and cooling. But recent hiccups in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be manufactured and shipped. There are several reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, such as:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As people continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A few extra days every now and then accumulates over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: Global supply chains are fine-tuned for optimal efficiency and may take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials change. While companies set up alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Higher Costs of Raw Materials: Metals including steel and copper are vital for modern HVAC equipment. Valuable materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are especially scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries start back up, they’re also experiencing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also take time to train to make sure they provide dependable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these concerns have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As products take longer to arrive, people sometimes have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Fortunately, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Lower the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively searching for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being stuck without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are ways to minimize how the HVAC product shortage impacts you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services including preventive air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make for your HVAC system. Components remain in better shape, which means more efficient performance and a smaller risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown could leave you stuck waiting on a replacement. Listen for loud sounds and monitor your energy bill for evidence the HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to install a new furnace or air conditioner, it may be a good idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with current supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment by the time you actually want it.
- Consider alternative equipment: If a current make or model is struggling with a shortage, researching alternatives may open up more options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than before.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC professionals at Colvin's Heating and Cooling want to help reduce your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re considering new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get started soon. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 816-379-3918.