Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely moved through the flue vent to the outdoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart issues, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to know carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it inspected. The experts at Colvin's Heating and Cooling can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, the experts will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the experts at Colvin's Heating and Cooling in Excelsior Springs just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 816-379-3918 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.