According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to contact Colvin's Heating and Cooling in Excelsior Springs about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Colvin's Heating and Cooling. A regular inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Excelsior Springs home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Colvin's Heating and Cooling at 816-379-3918 or make an appointment online.