Spring is in the air here in Excelsior Springs and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Colvin's Heating and Cooling team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Colvin's Heating and Cooling in Excelsior Springs a call at 816-379-3918.