Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Excelsior Springs, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Colvin's Heating and Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Colvin's Heating and Cooling in Excelsior Springs a call to get started. Contact our team at 816-379-3918 or arrange an appointment with us online.