Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little unluckiness, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in Excelsior Springs during the colder seasons, when they’re needed the most to keep you toasty. While you know the team at Colvin's Heating and Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you ask for us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is necessary and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve compiled this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is set to “on”. We’ve been to numerous calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat set to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to check if it switches on.
- If everything looks accurate, check your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to not work?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not jamming things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump repair, call Colvin's Heating and Cooling at 816-379-3918 and we’ll return your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.